November 3rd news

I am Grateful for crisp Fall mornings...

Susan met her Medical Oncologist today, LOVE HER, she spent so much time explaining the treatment regimen that she recommended based on the pathology report, answering all questions candidly yet laced with compassion. She slowly went through point by point explaining what each finding meant in terms of  treatment options to alleviate the chances of the cancer returning, giving statistics, drawing pictures to illustrate how the drug Tamoxifen, an antiestrogen drug she will need to take once per day for five years, blocks the body's ability to use hormones which fuel a cancer cells growth. She carefully explained the various side effects associated with antihormonal therapy, and went on to explain that many of the side effects can be significantly reduced  with....you better believe it...YOGA....oh yes she did! and went on to cite studies that support the effectiveness of a consistent yoga practice, Susan looked over at me with that "I know, I know" look and I said, with a  nod of confirmation, we can take care of that!
I know Susan is so thankful that chemotherapy and radiation are not recommended, though I am sure the tamoxifen will have its share of challenges it doesn't appear to be nearly as harsh on the body. I know  it sounds so very  trivial  even in my head as I type this, yet I can't help thinking that losing Susan's hair would have been one of the hardest aspects of the cancer diagnosis to witness.

But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her. _1 Corinthians 11:15 NKJV

Comments